Saturday, December 13, 2008

Dual Monitors, But I Don't Know How

I have a (now older) Pentium 4 computer. About a year ago, the video card went Tango Uniform. As a replacement, I bought a PNY nVidia GEForce 8500 GT. A nice card, frankly. I've heard others say that it's a less-than-stellar performer for games, but I don't play games on my computer. That's what my PS2 / PS3 are for.

Anyway, the card comes with three outputs, a DVI, a VGA, and an S-Video. I recently purchased an LG 19" monitor and mounted it the wall above my current computer monitor. The LG is a nice, little monitor. It even came with VGA inputs. Which got me to thinking, Can I use this for a dual-monitor set-up?

The short answer is, Yes. But here's the problem. I don't know how I got here. Here's how I have them set-up.

  • Both monitors are now set-up in their native resolution. The Samsung uses 1920 x 1200. The LG uses 1440 x 900.

  • They're set-up in a top/bottom combination. That means that I go through the top of the Samsung, which puts me on the bottom of the LG (mounted on the wall above the Samsung).

  • Each can have a different wallpaper.

  • Windows boots up and runs from the Samsung monitor.


Here's what I remember. I started with the nVidia GEForce window that appears when you go to "nVidia Display" window. I then clicked on one of the wizard buttons, followed by a few of the others, then I wound up with all of the settings I have now.

And it works pretty well. The only drawback is that some of the high-resolution graphics don't pan as smoothly as before. But otherwise, it works just fine.

No comments: