Sunday, January 25, 2009

Manny Acta - Class Act


The wife lucked into some tickets for the 2009 Natsfest in DC. I'm not much of a sports fan. Never really have been. I'm a geek. To me, jocks were those guys we made fun of when they weren't stomping mudholes in us just for kicks. Anyway, the Natsfest is an openhouse at the Nationals Stadium. Pretty much everything is open. We toured the various executive clubs, had our pictures taken with different players, and enjoyed the sights. One of the things that my wife wanted to see was the PNC club. At the time we went, Manny Acta, general manager of the Nats, was giving a talk. I'd seen him a few times during the afternoon. He'd signed autographs until he literally begged to stop because his wrist hurt. After that, he simply asked if he could just have his picture taken with the visitors.

Then the talk started. Manny was having a conversation with Charlie Slowes, the voice of the Nationals Radio. Then the floor was opened for questions. Four or five people managed to get in questions. The interesting part, to me, was how Manny handled the questions. He treated each one as if it was the most interesting thing he'd ever heard. He was straightforward, witty, and intelligent. At 3:30, he was told that only one more question would be allowed. Manny was surprised; his response was, "Do I have to be somewhere else?" That wasn't it. Another group was going to use the area after us. So we had to clear out. But it was obvious to me that he was enjoying the Q & A. Yes, it could have been an act, but Gywneth Paltrow at her best could not have matched him. He was terrific.

So, I have to give credit where it's due. Manny Acta is a class act.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very good description on DTV. I personally think many CATV companies and television manufactures are using this to make a significant amount of money on the un-educated/not well versed American consumer. I noticed over the holidays that many people were at the local Wal-Mart buying up TVs and telling others around them that they had to get one before Feb.2009, or they couldn't watch TV. I ask one individual about this, and he said that COMCAST told him that he should go buy a new television to be on the safe side. I then ask him how did he currently get his COMCAST since that is CATV...his response was "I dunno, I am just doing what they said!"....It was all I could do to use one of my favorite southern sayings, "Here's your sign!"