Friday, October 30, 2009

Back in Business

After reformatting the Linux partition and starting from scratch, my system is now up to Ubuntu version 9.10. Yes, it's pretty nice. The interface is different, but I'm not certain that alone made it worth it. I do know that the Ubuntu team has stated that there were many changes that made the upgrade worthwhile. I'll take them at their word. I've discovered that some things that didn't work before do now. For example, I have an old webcam. It didn't work at all before, but does now. Kind of. Another thing is that this new version is recognizing my other partitions without me prompting them. I'm now in the process of reloading my data and putting back the various programs that I need. Skype is back (which was one thing I really needed) and so is Octave. I'm hoping to get the latest version of Freemat (version 4.0) installed as well. I've got Thunderbird back, and all of my e-mail is back in its proper place. All in all, the upgrade was disastrous, but the OS, once installed properly, is working fine.

The one thing I'm doing better this time than with the original install is keeping careful notes of what is getting installed and how I installed it. Some of those notes will be written up in upcoming articles.

No comments: