Thursday, September 11, 2008

BRAS for Everyone

I'm taking a graduate class, "Digital Telephony". I have to write a research paper. The topic is going to be a comparison of different broadband services to the home. I'm already researching different types of broadband services, including FTTH (Fiber to the home, which Verizon markets as "FiOS") and DSL (Digital Subscriber Line). While looking through different documents for DSL, I kept seeing the word "BRAS".

That got a Tim Allen, "Bah-ROO!?!?"

It stands for "broadband remote access server". That's a special box in the network that allows for a great deal more of data to flow.

The question is whether the engineers who came up with that acronym were hard up, or just have a sense of humor.

My money is on both.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

After I drank the FTTH, I felt ready to handle the BRAS.