Thursday, April 29, 2010

Botnet from a Linux kernel vulnerability?

I was reading an article on two men indicted on creating, then unleashing, a botnet attack. What really got my attention was this (my emphasis added):
A few hours later, T35 President Alex Melen responded to Zook's post, blaming the compromise on a Linux kernel vulnerability, and noting that "a lot of companies are dealing with these hacking attacks right now and not a lot can be done."

I found an article which seems to address an issue related to a Linux kernel vulnerability, but I don't know if this is the one addressed in the botnet attack. If it is the same one, they a patch has already been produced. Further, if it is the same one, then that gives me an idea on when this attack occurred (probably in the mid- to late-2009 timeframe).
Just another reminder to be on your toes with respect to computer security, regardless of your platform or operating system.

No comments: