Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Damn onions

I'm a regular reader of the web site Blackfive. One of the best things they do (among many) is to honor those who have fallen, to make those who stop by the site pause for a moment to reflect on someone who has given their life so that I can have mine.
It was while reading a recent one that I remembered two words that I'd come across in the comments for a similar article. The words were, "Damn onions". When I first saw those words, I understood. I've discovered, though, that not everyone gets it. In case you don't, let me explain.
The short answer is that the story, like chopping onions, made the reader cry. But in my mind, it's more than that. The readers of Blackfive cover all of the military services. I've seen comments from those in the Coast Guard, Air Force, Marines, Army and Navy. While they may rib and kid each other, the one bond they share that no outsider can truly understand is that they are and have been sent into harm's way. Many of them subscribe to the macho world of the military. Be cool, calm and professional, but always have a plan to kill everyone you meet. That kind of thing. Therefore, showing emotion, even through the relative anonymity of the interwebz, is not something that comes easily to them. When they read of a comrade who has died, though, it's gonna happen. The tears will flow. They can fight it, but frankly, they'd rather not. They could type out everything they're feeling, but words really don't suffice. The emotion is too raw, and perhaps (just as with me) they cannot write well. Words might be in their head, but whether they are the right words put into the right order is another thing, entirely. So, to keep up appearances, we get the comment, "Damn onions."
It's those two words for which the true significance would take a thick book to fundamentally explain. They may not want to show emotion in public, especially to a bunch of strangers on the internet. But still, they are. They are crying. Just as I am, having read the story of SSG Miller, recently (and posthumously) awarded the Medal of Honor. If you are ever reading a story of a comrade, a warrior, someone who has given their life for their country, and you see those two words, understand the depth that those two words represent.

No comments: