Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Family Linux Box - An Experiment Begins

Can a family that has used nothing but Windows convert to Linux? I may be about to find out. I have a family who have two desktop computers. One computer is for the parents; the other is for the children, ages 13 and 10. The kids computer was infected with what Norton stated was "11 risks". The risks were various trojan horses, general viruses, and a rootkit. I've tried all of the standard procedures to get rid of the various pieces of malware, all to no avail. I asked their father if I could load Ubuntu Linux on the computer. He said to go ahead.
The computer is now loaded with version 10.4 (Lucid Lynx), though I may update it to 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat). I've added an admin account for myself, an account for each of the kids, and an account for the parents.
I've already identified one problem. Neither of the kids is a super user, which means neither of them can use "sudo" to add programs or change their account in any way. So, while they can keep each other out of his and her respective files, they can't add any meaningful programs. Further, I don't know how I, as an admin, can do it for them. What I'm thinking right now is to temporarily make them super users, make the changes I need, then remove their super user status.
If you have suggestions, please leave them in the comments. Thanks!

No comments: